Monday, October 29, 2007

Tumne mujhse mera khoon cheen liya..

I have a very strange quality. I feel very little pain. It's amazing but true (though this doesnt give you the freedom to hit me). I have a long history of cuts, wounds and other such injuries going entirely unnoticed just because they didn't pain at all. Most of the time I dont even realise that I'm hurt until I see a pool of blood on the ground due to my injury. This had become quite a joke to my friends who called me 'insensitive', a 'stone' and said that I ' had become comfortably numb'. As for me, it meant that I am always on the lookout for new ways to test my lack of pain. And mainly because of this reason, and also because of a desire to prove to myself that I'm still brave, I went for the blood donation camp in college. I figured getting the blood sucked out of you had to hurt. So I turned up, got my haemoglobin levels checked and then got ready to donate blood. Though I did feel a bit nervous I decided that going through with it was important for me to check my pain quotient. So with a purely selfish motive I did it. I put on my stoic face, which is reserved for such occasions ( others call it the extreme constipation look), and got ready to get a needle injected into me. And it was nothing. It didn't hurt a bit. The entire procedure, I barely felt anything. I had also heard stories of people fainting and all after donating blood. But I didn't feel a thing, neither during it, nor after it. In fact, within minutes of donating blood I was back riding my bike. So it was just another addition to the list of things that don't cause me pain (other items on this list include swallowing bubble gum, cutting myself while shaving & watching pathetic hindi movies). In fact the only time I got really nervous was when I was being injected with the needle. Not because of the needle, or the pain, but because of the fact that they were playing Kal Ho Naa Ho in the background. I mean come on, here you are, with a needle in your arms and the last song you want to hear is a song about a guy who dies in not so different circumstances than the one you are in. But that's what they decide to play. That's life I guess. So my quest goes on. So if anyone else has a painful plan in mind, do contact me. I'm ready for anything!

No comments: