Sunday, February 25, 2007

A day of two quotes

Yesterday was a good day. I got up real late(umm no surprises there I guess). I came third in a quiz (COEP Nexus Quiz for the stastically inclined). My laptop finally got a net connection. And I didnt have to worry about the general useless stuff like studies, college, attendance etc
But most importantly, yesterday was a day of two quotes. And to understand why these two quotes were so important, I have to give you a flashback.
Act I:
Flashback:
It's 14 February. Valentine's Day. Today happens to be the 18th V-Day of my life for which I've had no reason to celebrate. And I'm only 18 years old. Every year around this time I feel sad that I'm still single. A beggar in a city of riches. A blind man in a world of sharpshooters (ok, bad example I agree but I'm in no mood to replace it). And many such more sad metaphors. Believe me you don't want to hear them. I guess it's got something to do with the weather.
But this 14 Feb turned out to be different. Today I made a vow - this shall be the last Valentine's day I shall spend alone. And I'm not alone in this, four of my friends join me in this oath-taking ceremony. So there!!

Act II:
Back to the future:
It's been 10 days since the vow. And I've made no progress on this front. I feel kind of gloomy. Pune Times doesn't help by printing an article that states that all those are single are made to feel like losers. Everyone's just rubbing it in. But then there's this flash of sunlight from out of nowhere. One of my friends makes a remark. "I guess I'm in a phase of my life now where I don't really need a Girlfriend".
That just made me feel a whole lot better.

Act III:
The other quote
I'm out with my brother. Now my brother is an E&TC engineer himself. But unlike me, he's a true E &TC engineer. He actually knows the stuff they teach in class. He's a guy who loves his field. And because of him I've always had an inferiority complex. He's the guy who knows everything while I know nothing. And come to think of it, we were brought up in the same house. But today he says something that really shocks me. He says , "Look. Just because you are an E&TC engineer, it doesn't mean that you have to pretend to be seriously interested in the co-curricular events like Robotics etc. It doesn't mean you have to like your subjects. You can't force yourself to like your subjects. That'll never do. If you think that your future lies elsewhere, don't bother about such things. Keep on doing the things that interest you. It is not a rule that you have to a job in a software firm or in an electronics company. You can go into something totally different. And don't ever for a moment think that you are wasting your time studying engineering since your future lies elsewhere. Its the attitude that matters. And once you have the right attitude, no one can stop you".
And I thought I was the one who gives long philosophical lectures. Rushikesh, you just went up many a notches higher in my book. You're the greatest brother a guy can have.

3 comments:

kapeesh saraf said...

heh...u give philosophical lectures too? that puts u in the category of .....

ajinkyad said...

i think
wht ur brother has said its of gr8 importance to me
i m doing mech-sand engg
so i am also going through the same
so called identity crisis
where i am looking for my own space
with ur brother's message i m quite
relaxed now and wnt to do something creative
gloomy mind has gt converted into
enthu mind
ur blog has done the trick thanks

Shantanu said...

Its so strange - that after living in elder bro's shadows for years, 1 vote of confidence or 1 arrow of seemingly un-routine advice, can more than make a little bro's day!