Saturday, September 29, 2007

Hat-trick!!

For those of you who might have mistaken this for a review of the recent dumb bollywood flick, you can rest assured for it is no such thing. This is a hat-trick of an entirely different kind...
Well my Hostel I-card has never been something that I have treasured. Actually I have plenty of reason to treasure it, as every year I am the last guy to get a seat in the hostel on account of my rapidly degrading grades. But still, somehow, I don't care much about it. And that forms the basis of my hat-trick. Because the hat-trick signifies the third time in three years that my Hostel I-card has been confiscated.
Lets Rewind:
The 1st incident:
Circa Sep 2005. The Mid-Semester examination of my first engineering semester. 6 papers in six days. Back to back. And back then I was a raw, eager first year chap who had scored great marks in the 12th boards and the CET. So at 3 in the night, you would expect me to be either studying or fast asleep. But well, I always have had this penchant for pulling off absurd and absolutely crazy stunts. And this day was just another page in my ever expanding book of crazy stunts. I wasn't studying at 3 am. I wasn't even asleep. Instead I was playing cricket in the hostel corridor. Now you know why I am called a cricket nut. So at 3 in the night, me and my friends were busy playing cricket and making a lot of noise too. This aroused the rector from his sleep and he came to see what was happening. And at that exact time I was batting. I can still remember the scene. I had just played a forward defensive stroke and had been batting for quite a while. So after playing the shot I looked up and hoped to see some appreciation of my technique on the faces of my friends. But instead what I saw was the rector coming towards me. And I couldn't even say I wasn't there, after all I had the bat in my hand. Caught red-handed. And my innings came to a premature end. What a way to end a perfectly fine innings!
Epilogue: Our I-cards were confiscated and all of us were slapped a fine of Rs 100. All my friends duly paid it and collected their I-cards as soon as possible. As for me, well, I didn't give much of a damn. I didn't collect my I-card till after the year ended. And guess what, I didn't pay the fine either.

The 2nd incident:
Well this happens to be the least interesting of the three. It happened in early second year, around Sep 2006 I guess. The day it happened was possibly the third time in the week that I had come back to the hostel after the deadline of 11 pm. And this time I overshot it by a good three hours. So I guess I left the security guards with no choice but to relieve me of my I-card. This time though, I did give a damn and got it back in about a week's time.

The 3rd incident:
This was the third and final blow. And it happened today, a few hours ago. It was my friend's birthday and all my friends got together to celebrate. We ate cake, kicked the hell out of the birthday guy and were gonna go back to bed in peace when suddenly the warden turned up. And I made a great escape from the crime scene and successfully came back to my bunker (or room if you wish to call it so). I was about to celebrate a successful exit when I got a call. Someone had betrayed me. And it turned out to be Apoorv Vaidya who did the treachery. My name was on their list and I was a hunted man. So instead of facing the ignominy of the warden coming to my room and taking my I-card, I voluntarily went to him and handed him my I-card. And that, ladies and gentlemen, completes the hat-trick. Let's see how long it takes me to get my I-card back this time.

P.S. : While writing this post I realised that all three events took place in the month of September. I guess it must be the weather. And I can't wait for September 2008.

1 comment:

Sameer said...

congrats [:D]