Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Yuvi's revenge

They say that in cricket, as in life, things tend to level out over a period of time. In case of Yuvraj & Dmitri, it has happened pretty soon.
No one can forget the 5 sixes that Dmitri Mascarenhas hit off Yuvraj Singh during the ODI series last month in England. However, soon after, Mascarenhas got a taste of his own medicine when he was clobbered for a few sixes against New Zealand. And today, finally, Yuvi got his revenge. Six sixes in a single over. Unbelievable. And spare a thought for the poor Stuart Broad. He is one of the best bowlers England have produced of late. Let's hope he doesn't suffer too much mentally as a result of Yuvi's onslaught.
And another important thing about Yuvi's sixes was that for the first time ever, despite years of watching cricket, I was present for a major record being created by an Indian. I have great timing when it comes to such things. I can still recall the day Kumble took all ten wickets. I was watching the Pakistani innings till they reached a hundred for no loss when I finally gave up. Kumble took his first wicket when the score was 115 and the rest was a glorious chapter in Indian cricket history, but just another short afternoon nap for me.
Amongst others I have also missed Dhoni's 183*, major portions of Sehwag's 309 and Laxman's 281 and all of India's recent test victories. But it seems now that the tide is changing and my timing is improving. Lets hope I get to see many more great Indian feats in the future. And I also hope poor old Stuart looks at this with a broad perspective (pun intended). After all, his name is also permanently entered in the record books.
But for now, England have got off to a flier. And though I know they have no chance of winning, I don't want to miss a single moment of the action. So see you later..

No comments: