Sunday, March 23, 2008

Valu

I happened to see Valu in a movie theatre in Nashik. I had heard of the movie but never even thought of watching it (this is my standard response to all marathi movies). But then the director of the movie, Umesh Kulkarni, came as the chief guest (along with a very good looking Sonali Kulkarni) to the Gymkhana Day function in our college and he seemed to be a decent likeable chap and hence I decided to watch the movie.
The movie was decent, very slow at times, but it did have its share of funny moments. The locations were great and so were the characters. The movie has a nice feel to it, even though it never approaches greatness. The story was nice and refreshing and it had a pretty good cast, all of whom gave a good performance, especially Atul Kulkarni who is easily one of the best actors in the country.
But what I learned from the movie was that not all marathi movies are the vulgar slapstick comedy types starring Bharat Jadhav and/or Ashok Saraf (even though 90% of them are) and that I should start watching more marathi movies (this was only the 4th marathi movie that I have seen in a theatre and possibly my 7th or 8th overall). So next on the list is Checkmate...

No comments: