Wednesday, January 30, 2008

So much for Deutsch

The language column in my CV reads:

"Fluent in English, Hindi & Marathi. Basic knowledge of German"

Now I've never had too much faith in the first sentence, especially when it comes to my Hindi and Marathi. But when I come to think of it, the second sentence seems to be a great exaggeration to say the least. Despite my knowledge of German I consistently fail to answer quiz questions which feature German words. Or understand what the text stand for when I play 'Moorhun Jagd'. But all this while I thought that all this was just a coincidence - that I just happened to not know the German words mentioned in the question and that the creator of Moorhun Jagd possibly had a Ph.D in German as well. Unfortunately that doesn't seem to be the case.
My new neighbour in Nashik happens to be a retire German journalist called Helmut. So I decided to meet him and chat with him for a while, just to brush up my German. This is how far I went:
Hallo!
Ich heise Aniket (I'm Aniket)
Ich bin dein Nachbarn (I'm your neighbour)
After this I just pointed towards my house and said "I live there". That was all the German I spoke with Helmut that night. Imagine, one year of learning German and at the end of it, all I'm good enough for is a couple of sentences. That really shows how basic my knowledge of German actually is. And makes me wonder what I was actually doing for the whole year when I was supposedly learning German. And if I can get my money back now.

No comments: