Friday, January 27, 2006

Republic day

Normally, or rather for most people, Republic Day is just another holiday. In fact a great holiday because you have absolutely nothing to do nor do have to bear with loudspeakers & stuff. But however, for me, it has always had special importance, say equal to or even more than Independence day. I've never celebrated it since I left school but still I get a special patriotic feeling every Republic Day. But I really felt good on this Republic Day. Here's why:
I've always been a TOI reader (for the uneducated - it's Times of India). In fact I've grown up on TOI though that's nothing much to say because so have millions of others. But somehow on coming to Pune I changed loyalties and started reading the Indian Express(IE). And I felt it was worth it when I read the Republic Day edition of the IE. Usually all you get to read in a newspaper is about accidents, rapes , murders, corruption & how the government does nothing. It gives you an impression that the government isn't doing anything at all. Of course that can't be true. And the Republic Day IE proved this. Instead of highlighting all the failures of the govt. it showed all the good things the govt. was doing - Sea canals, earthquake rehab & lots of other things of which we have no idea because nobody bothers to cover these things. This proves that all the media is interested in is sensationalism, as that's the only thing that sells. So three cheers for IE for coming out of the daily rut of negative news & actually showing the good side of India. It made me feel proud to be an Indian. Keep it up IE!!

No comments: